Friday, August 3, 2012

Homecoming

We returned the rental car, checked into the hotel near the airport, and awaited our flight home. The hotel stay felt a bit strange after being in the field and even more bizarre were the number of English conversations we heard and being approached by people speaking to us in English. We spend so much time in a region where very little English is spoken or used and it can be somewhat jarring to still be in El Salvador but to be in a more tourist region of the country.

We did enjoy getting to watch the Olympics and also to use the pool! People responded somewhat surprised to us as we would reply and speak with them in Spanish. The woman in the gift shop was very impressed with our research and to hear us speaking Spanish. Apparently many of the business travels do not speak Spanish.

We flew home the next day. In Houston I had a short connection and the security line after customs was extremely long (you have to go back through security once you claim your bags and re-check them). A few nice people let me cut in front of them in line and after a mad dash through Houston airport I just barely made my flight. As I went to sit down I said excuse me to the couple in the aisle and middle seats and thank you... only to sit down and realize I'd just said that to them in Spanish. I laughed and then apologized in English saying that I clearly wasn't sure where I was currently!  :)

It was wonderful to see my wife and I was so happy to be home...even if my luggage didn't quite make it with me.  The pugs were so happy to have their other mama back that I could hardly get in the front door! 


The Pug Attack upon my return! Theo made funny excited snort noises we had never heard before!

Stay tuned.. I will update you on what it is like to be back and the reverse culture shock / strange experiences of returning to life as normal here at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment